top of page


What does Pope County Housing and Redevelopment Authority (HRA) do?

Where does the HRA operate?

What types of housing programs does the HRA operate?

I am having problems with my landlord. What can I do?

How do I apply for Public Housing or Section 8?

I am homeless. Do you have emergency housing?

If my sink is leaking or my heat is not working, how do I get it fixed?

Do I qualify for housing assistance?

What is a reasonable accommodation?




Q: What does the Housing and Redevelopment Authority (HRA) do?

A: The primary objective of HRA's in Minnesota is to plan and implement the development and redevelopment of moderate and low-income housing projects.


Q: Where does the HRA operate?
A: Pope County HRA offers assistance programs throughout the County.



Q: What types of housing programs does the HRA operate?
A: The HRA operates three primary types of programs, they are

· Public Housing - owned and operated by the HRA.

· Section 8 Housing - subsidized housing owned/operated by private landlords.

· Housing Rehabilitation Programs - assists income-qualified homeowners and landlords who pledge to keep their units affordable.



Q: I am having problems with my landlord, what can I do?
A: You should first try to get help by talking directly to your landlord. If you can’t get the problem solved that way, call your HRA Housing Specialist.



Q: How do I apply for Public Housing or Section 8?
A: Contact Douglas County HRA at 320-762-3849.



Q: I am homeless. Do you have emergency housing?
A: Call Pope County Health and Human service at 320-634-7755 or visit their office, weekdays from  8 a.m. – 4:30 p.m., at 211 East Minnesota Avenue, Suite 200, Glenwood, MN 56334.



Q: If my sink is leaking or my heat is not working, how do I get it fixed?
A: Call your private landlord or maintenance person for help.



Q: Do I qualify for housing assistance?
A: To determine your eligibility, take a look at the following chart of gross annual income based on family size. This will give you a good indication of whether you are eligible for assistance.



Q: What is a reasonable accommodation?
A: An HRA applicant (or household member) who has a handicap or disability may ask for a reasonable accommodation which would make it easier to live in public housing and to use programs and facilities. Reasonable accommodation may include a change to the housing unit or housing complex, or an exception to the HRA’s rules, policies or procedures. The HRA will try to make the change if it does not create an undue financial or administrative burden, or fundamentally change the nature of the program.

Here are some examples of reasonable accommodations:

Assigning you to a modified housing unit.

Making changes to your housing unit.

Installing a strobe-type flashing light alarm in your unit.

Installing grab bars.

Allowing seeing-eye dogs, or providing large-type documents or a reader to assist vision-impaired persons.

Allowing a person with a disability to work with medical or other appropriate persons to assist them in the application process.

Providing interpreters for persons with hearing impairments.

HRA staff working with your advocate to help you follow HRA rules and lease requirements.

You can ask for a reasonable accommodation because of a handicap or disability at any time. It is your right whether or not to ask for a change or a reasonable accommodation. For purposes of eligibility for low-income housing, a person may not necessarily be considered to have a disability based solely on any drug or alcohol dependence.

If you want a reasonable accommodation, please circle yes on the application.





Helpful Links


Douglas County HRA  320.762.3849

1224 North Nokomis St, Alexandria, MN 56308


Pope County HRA Meeting Minutes


West Central MN Communities Action, Inc. 218.685.4486

800.492.4805  |  218.685.6741

411 Industrial Park Boulevard, Elbow Lake, MN 56531


City of Glenwood

Minnewaska Area School District

Glenwood Chamber of Commerce

City of Starbuck

Starbuck Chamber of Commerce

Pope Douglas Solid Waste

Rainbow Rider

West Central MN Small Business Development Center

West Central Initiative

MN Department of Employment and Economic Development

MN Housing Finance Agency

Greater MN Housing Fund




Local Realtor Links


Counselor Realty Glenwood Lakes Area

Swartz Brothers Associates Inc

Minnewaska Insurance & Real Estate

Glenwood State Bank Real Estate

Strecker Agency

Reasonable Accommodation
Helpful Links
Realtor Links
bottom of page